Monday 1 August 2011

Libraries = Culture, Learning, Knowledge, Delight

I came across a nice post by Tom Chatfield called On Libraries.  The whole thing is worth reading but what really struck me was the following quote:
This is not, I think, an argument about books. It’s about what a public building carefully stocked with books represents: a free encounter with culture, knowledge, learning, delight.
Tom Chatfield, On Libraries. 24 July 2011
I've talked about books being the library brand before, but I think this quote beautifully sums up the role of books in the future of libraries.

I love that so many libraries are trying so many different things while exploring their future but I do think we need to keep this idea in mind. When we are exploring new programs and services we need to ensure that libraries keep representing a free encounter with learning, knowledge and delight users while doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment