Thursday 17 October 2013

Digital Engagement in Public Libraries

On Friday, 6 September I gave a presentation to staff from the State Library of NSW titled Digital Engagement in Public Libraries. I wanted to make the point that I believe there is a difference between experimentation and engagement when libraries are using social media.


If you don't measure the impact that your digital engagement activities are having (and I mean more than just counting Facebook likes) then how will you know if the time you spend is worth it? Libraries must give consideration to the reason they are engaging online and work out ways of measuring whether their efforts are providing a worthwhile return. Tweeting, Pinning and Sharing all take time that could be (and once was) spent doing other things and you want to make sure that the time spent is helping your library achieve its goals.

I also share some of the ways that my workplace is engaging online along with how we measure the results. By measuring our activities we have learned that digital engagement works best when supported by in-person / in-library efforts. To round out the talk there are some examples of outstanding digital engagement from other libraries.

Thanks to the staff from the State Library, you can hear the talk. I was filmed while giving the presentation and they have kindly given me permission to take a copy of the video, to which I've added my slides.  You can find it on Vimeo.


Digital Engagement in Public Libraries from martin boyce on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment