Thursday 28 May 2009

The Role of Libraries

I was excited to read John Blyberg, Kathryn Greenhill and Cindi Trainor's thoughts about the role of libraries in The Darien Statements on the Library and Librarians. You or I might not agree with everything they say but I think libraries are facing radical changes in the coming decade (or less?) and it's fantastic to see the debate being carried out in public.

If we can get some perspective on the fundamental role of libraries then we can really start focussing our time and resources on the most important aspects of libraries and librarianship.

I wrote a short post about the statements on the RISG blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Martin,

    Thanks for bringing this manifesto to my attention. Certainly stirred some debate in the comments section. I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with aspects of this statement.

    ReplyDelete